The Alta Mora winery is one of the latest wine projects of the Cusumano family. It is located in the natural park of Mount Etna, the largest of the Italian volcanoes and the highest active volcano in Europe. Mount Etna is located on the east coast of Sicily, between the cities of Messina and Catania.
- Five different plots of vineyards, locally called “contrade” for a total of 18 hectares, are located at different altitudes of the volcano.
- Altitude of the vineyards ranging from 600 to 800 meters above sea level.
- The volcanic soil composition is unique; it changes according to the different eruptions and it is extremely fertile.
- The slopes are cultivated with native grape varieties such as Carricante and Nerello Mascalese, grown with bush vine training system, in Italian “alberello”.
- Despite being on a Mediterranean island, the Mount Etna climate is similar to the Alpine climate, with cold and snowy winters.
- The predominance of ungrafted, pre-phylloxera vines is a unique characteristic of this area of Sicily.