Founded in 1761, Borgogno is the oldest continuously operating winery in Barolo. Cesare Borgogno expanded the winery’s production in the 1920s and commercial success followed as he became one of the first winemakers from Piedmont to ship wines abroad.
He also implemented an impressive “wine library” at the estate. To this day, half of the Barolo production is held back, only to be released 20 years later.
In the 1960s, Franco Boschis took over as manager until the Farinetti family bought the estate in 2008. Under Andrea Farinetti’s leadership, organic conversion was initiated and the winery began using only cement vats for fermentation, a return to the original winemaking style. All the wines are made at the estate’s winemaking facility in Barolo village in an underground network of historic fermentation and aging rooms.
Today, the estate includes 39 hectares with 31 planted to vine. These include five hectares of Timorasso and rows in some of Barolo’s most storied vineyards including Liste, Cannubi, Cannubi San Lorenzo, Fossati, and San Pietro delle Viole.
Made with long maceration times and minimal intervention, the wines are renowned for their traditional style and long-term aging potential, a favorite of Italian wine professionals and collectors.
Did You Know?
Back in the 1920s, Cesare Borgogno decidedly to do something entirely unheard of at the time in Barolo: He began cellaring half of the production from every vintage instead of selling it. Today, Borgogno has one of the deepest wine libraries in the world, with vintages stretching back decades.