MOVIA is a family-owned winery with a long history dating back to 1820, when the Kristančič family joined the Movia Estate through a marriage. The winery is located in the heart of the Collio, the «Brda» (engl. hill) on the border between Slovenia and Italy
- Cultivated area of 22 hectares divided among 18 vineyards, located on both the Slovenian and Italian side of the border
- Average elevation of 250 – 400 m a.s.l., grown on around 35 years old vines in guyot system
- Soil: mostly Brda marl soil
- Mediterranean climate with moderate summers and sufficient precipitation all make the Brda region ideal for the production of dry wine. The vicinity of Alpine peaks provides just the right amounts of cool air for higher levels of acids and aromatic substances to develop in the grapes compared to other Mediterranean regions.
- Variety of products: From gentle and light classics, through a range of mature wines with good ageing potential – Profound character and extreme elegance
- Aleš belongs to the 8th generation of wine-makers and in keeping with the family’s decades of winemaking endeavor, he honed his wine-making skills in Bordeaux and in Burgundy, where he developed the idea of a completely diﬀerent concept of wine production.
- Movia’s wine’s quality allowed the Kristančič family to become exclusive suppliers of wine for state protocol events in the former SFR Yugoslavia in 1958.
- After World War II, the vineyards remained in the family’s hands, allowing the continuation of this tradition in the Brda.
- The wines of Movia are made with the greatest respect for nature, with no unnecessary interference from the winemaker, and no filtration.